Thursday, September 8

Drumroll please!

Hello there, stranger.  Fancy seeing you here!


WHO:  I suppose that introductions are in order.  I'd like to start by offering my name, Jackie Doming, and I am the blogmaster of this domain.  Some of you may know me as your fellow Creative Communications colleague, and for those of you that don't, I'm a student at the Red River College in Winnipeg, Manitoba.  I live in the heart of Downtown Winnipeg, conveniently located in The Exchange District.  And that's precisely what I'm going to be posting about - exactly how phenomenal it is to be living, eating and breathing in the most exciting part of this city!

WHAT:  During these upcoming weeks, months and beyond, you'll have the opportunity to follow me as I intimately explore The District and all of its hidden gems.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with what The Exchange District (a.k.a. The District, The Exchange) actually is, it's a national historic site which was originally associated with the Winnipeg Grain Exchange.  Since its inception in the late 1800s, it has undergone a dramatic facelift and is now known as one of the most happening cultural hotspots of Winnipeg.  It houses a plethora of speciality retailers, trendy restaurants, popular night clubs and so, so much more.

WHERE:  I am making a personal commitment to try to explore every nook and cranny that The Exchange has to offer (and hide!).  To be completely honest, I haven't taken full advantage of being so geographically close to this outstanding community.  There is so much culture, history and deliciousness (both artistically and food-wise) everywhere you go.  From now on, you'll be hearing about a wide variety of stories from all ends of the spectrum: interviews with the locals, restaurant reviews, fabulous fashion finds, events in Old Market Square, art exhibitions and whatever else is going on.  And there is always something happening in The Exchange.

WHEN:  You will be hearing from me on a weekly basis, if not more often.  This is preemptively telling you to stay tuned for future episodes of my Shenanigans in The District (this blog's official title, if you haven't noticed).  I would love for you to actively participate and share commentary on my findings.  Or better yet, you can certainly join me on these future escapades.  Now now, not all at once!

WHY:  Obligations aside, I think that exposure for this part of our city is so important in not only shaping peoples' perception of Winnipeg, but also building a sense of community and local pride.  So many great things are happening down in this niche of our great big town and the more people that know about it, the better!  The Exchange's tight-knit community is expanding at an exceptional rate, but every effort counts towards contributing to its growth.

I truly believe that it is my social responsibility, as an Exchange District resident and enthusiast, to share with you what it's all about.  I think that this'll be an interesting experience for both you and I.  So here goes nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment